Domestic violence accounts for aggressive behavior or assault within a home. There have been incredible changes in how domestic violence is treated or reported over the past decades.

Domestic Violence Statistics in Australia show that there has been a constant increase in the number of Domestic Violence Order (DVO) applications over the past few years. We’ll cover detailed Australia domestic violence statistics for 2022 in this article.

Domestic Violence in Australia statistics

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) data show an increase in family and domestic violence and sexual assault by 13%. Even then, authorities predicted this number to go higher in the next years, and it showed. The current domestic violence statistics show that around 3.6 million people will experience domestic violence or partner emotional abuse by September 2022.

The COVID situation and repeated lockdowns in Australia mark the predicted increase in domestic violence statistics. Also, inflation is projected to hit Australia, which is also a contributing factor in the increasing percentages of domestic abuse. There were around 5733 cases of domestic violence reported in the year 2021. It showed a growth of 2000 cases in a short span of three years.

Here’s a graph depicting the increase in DVO applications per year from 2017 to 2022.

Domestic Violence Statistics in Australia 2022-2023
Increase of DVO Applications Per Year

Sexual Abuse Statistics 2022

Molestation or sexual abuse means sexual assault or sexual activity by force. The sexual abuse statistics 2022 show that an estimated 2.2 million Australians have experienced sexual violence since 15. Around 12% of people in Australia have reported sexual abuse at some point. Here’s a graph by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) showing the sexual assault victimization rate per 100,000 persons from 1993 to 2021.

Domestic Violence Statistics in Australia 2022-2023
Sexual Assault Rate

Sexual Violence in Australia – Quick Read Statistics

A survey by ABS shows an increase of 13% in sexual assault activity in the year 2021. The increase in sexual activity has been consistent over the past decade. This increase is marked by increased social media activity and decreased awareness levels at a young age. Here are a few quick-read statistics on Australia violence for you to look at:

  • Around 31,118 sexual assaults were reported in 2021. That’s the highest number in ABS crime data recorded in the past 29 years.
  • The sexual violence victims rate per 100,000 people was 83 in 2011. This number has risen to 121 in a decade.
  • Around 61% of victim-survivors were under 18 at the time of the sexual assault incident.
  • Around 67% of sexual assaults occur at residential locations. The remaining 33% occurred at public places and disclosed locations.
  • COVID-19 has boosted the level of sexual assault crimes.

Final Take

All the statistical charts and figures mentioned above have been taken from official sources. Domestic abuse and sexual violence in Australia are constantly increasing, and preventive measures must be taken to control them. Australian domestic violence laws should be reformed, and awareness regarding personal safety against violent persons must be increased.

hey, I’m Alina!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *