pexels rdne stock project 6519905

Workplace injuries account for the accidents that happen at work. According to Safe Work Australia, major workplace injuries in Australia include musculoskeletal disorders (sprains, stretches, etc.), wounds and cuts, fractures, burns, and psychological harm.

Workplace accidents in Australia have been reduced by a third in the past decade. The government and several other private organizations have been working to optimize the work standards for reduced workplace injuries and fatalities.

Workplace Injury Statistics Australia

According to the safe work Australia statistics, there has been a 17% decrease in the serious workplace accidents over the past decade. Although the injury rate went up in 2020, following the pandemic, the overall workplace injury and fatality rate have declined over the past years. In 2020-2021, there were around 130,195 total serious claims in Australia. These include 79,083 males and 50,929 females.

The graph shows the Australian serious claim frequency rate over the past decade.

Trends in Worker Fatalities

The following are quick-read workplace injury statistics Australia in 2020-2021.

  • The frequency rate of serious claims was 6.5 per million hours worked.
  • The median compensation paid was $15,072 per claim.
  • The median compensation among men was $15,950 per claim.
  • The median compensation among women was $13,638 per claim.
  • The serious incident rate per thousand employees was 10.5.
  • By age group, the highest claim rate was of the workers aged 60-64.
  • The lowest claim rate was of the workers aged 35-39.
  • Manual handling injury statistics Australia show that body stress injury claims had the highest percentage of 37%.
  • Around 71% of the claims were injury related, and the other 29% were disease-related.
  • Over the year, mental health accounted for 9% of all serious claims.

Workplace Fatalities Statistics Australia

The latest report named, Key work health and safety statistics Australia 2022, states that Australia’s overall workplace fatality rate has decreased 57% from its peak record in 2007. That marks the overall decrease over the past decade to 35%. In 2021, the total workplace fatality number was 169, with 163 men and 6 women.

The overall fatality rate has declined considerably concerning both genders. Here’s a figure showing the nationwide fatality rate according to the state or territory where the fatality occurred.

Workplace Injury Statistics in Australia
Worker Fatalities by State

Also, here are some workplace fatality statistics in Australia in 2021.

  • New South Wales marked the highest number of workplace fatalities. The total fatality rate in New South Wales was 1.1 per 100,000 workers.
  • Around 38% (64 fatalities) of workplace fatalities happened because of vehicle collisions.
  • Following that are “being hit by moving objects” and “falling from height” at 14% and 11%, respectively.
  • Machinery operators and drivers had the highest workplace fatalities, marking 8.2 fatalities per 100,000 workers.
  • The agriculture, forestry, and fishing department had the highest fatality rate of 10.4 per 100,000 workers.

Final Take

With increasing safety measures and redefined workforce laws, there has been a constant decrease in workplace injuries and fatality rates. Authorities project the injury numbers in Australia to decrease further. Safe Work Australia backs all the statistical figures and charts mentioned above.

hey, I’m Alina!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *